Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thoughts on giving

I kind of let myself get a little off-track yesterday - seeing relationships between things when maybe there is no such relationship.  What I really wanted to express is what I see as a move away from the "me first" attitude that's been overpowering the country for too long.  I see and hear more and more about people responding to disasters with aid in money, in time and in work.  I hear more about people stepping up to help those in need.  I think  - no, I know that steps like these, small as they may seem, can set us on a course of greater human understanding.  I guess maybe that giving to those in need is an excellent first step.  It is heart warming to know that people are willing to share what they have with others in need, and we seem to see more of this everyday.  But beyond this, I would love to see us embrace generosity for its own wake.  We're starting to see this when people place items out in front of their home with a sign saying that they are all free.  (Matter of fact, we just got a nice pair of lawn chairs for our little porch that way.)  But beyond that, if you want to surprise people, go to a local coffee shop and buy coupons for, say, ten cups of coffee, then go walking up and down the streets giving them to people and if they ask questions, just say that it's free, no strings attached, then look at the surprise on their face.  Or walk down  the streets putting quarters in parking meters that have expired.  Hopefully, the message will get out, and maybe someday we'll be able to do this without getting the suspicious or startled stare.  Just another kind of paying it forward.  I, for one, will continue to make charitable gifts, but my New Year's resolution is to add more acts of pure generosity.  Believe me, I am not rich.  But changing my own attitude and behavior is making me richer in my being.  Please share this with others.

No comments: